West Cumbrian man covered himself in diesel he was trying to steal
Last updated at 12:43, Monday, 29 April 2013
A man who stole diesel from a truck after he had been drinking ended up getting more fuel on himself than in the barrel he was trying to fill.
Police caught Danny Rickerby and another man trying to syphon diesel from the Fosca site in Workington on April 12.
The 22-year-old, of Newlands Gardens, Workington, pleaded guilty to theft when he appeared at West Cumbria Magistrates’ Court.
Ryan Foley, representing Rickerby, said his client had been at home drinking with the other man and the pair had gone for a walk.
They found a hole in the fence, went onto the Focsa site and decided to steal diesel after finding a hosepipe, jerry can and barrel on the site.
“It wasn’t premeditated,” Mr Foley added. “He ended up with more fuel on himself than in the container.”
Rickerby was convicted of burglary in August 2011 and given a 90-prison sentence suspended for two years.
Mr Foley said that in the last 20 months he had displayed a level of maturity and had also looked to rebuild his relationship with his parents and he wanted to set standards for his son.
He was given a community order with a three-month curfew from 7pm to 7am. He was also told to pay costs of £85 and a £60 surcharge.
The second man was arrested but was not charged.
First published at 11:49, Monday, 29 April 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (19 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (16 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (6 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (8 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (10 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (15 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (46 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (12 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)