Monday, 30 November 2015

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

West Cumbria drug thug attacked sister

A Workington thug who attacked his own sister has been jailed for six months.

Dean Winder photo
Dean Winder

Dean Winder, 20, of Newlands Gardens, was already on a suspended prison sentence for affray when he forged a prescription for Temazepam, violently resisted a police constable and attacked his own sister.

Carlisle Crown Court also heard that he had been “at large” for a total of 50 hours while subject to a curfew.

Winder had been given a stern warning for the initial affray by Recorder John Murray, the same judge who sentenced him yesterday.

Recorder Murray said: “I remember very well the [original] offence of affray back in February of this year. I took the view that dealing with you in the way that I did I might well have been too lenient.

“But you were fortunate and were given an opportunity to prove yourself within the community. “Obviously I was wrong in giving you a chance because that chance has been ignored, so far as I’m concerned.”

He said Winder knew he had been given a suspended sentence yet forged a prescription and obstructed police “in very unpleasant circumstances”.

“You were also in breach of a community order for an assault on your own sister,” he said.

Tim Evans, prosecuting, said that in March, Winder had tried to get Temazepam from the chemist by falsifying a prescription.

The forgery was spotted by the chemist and he fled.

But police were able to track him down because it was his name was on the prescription and he was also caught on CCTV.

He also received a second community order for an attack on his sister which he admitted breaching this month.

Mr Evans said that Winder had come to his sister’s home when an argument had broken out.

He said that Winder had grabbed her head, with his “finger going into her eye socket” and had then refused to leave.

In a separate incident in April, Winder returned home with his hands covered in blood.

His parents contacted the police who came to the house.

Mr Evans than said Winder then became “agitated and abusive”.

After all attempts to calm him down failed, he was handcuffed.

But he struggled and kicked out at police officers and his parents, also causing damage to a washing machine.

A small amount of cannabis was also found in his possession.

Charlotte Atherton, defending, said: “The level of offending is low level but persistent.”

She added: “His record is not bad until 2011 when it appears he went off the rails.

“He tells me it was around the time he became involved with cannabis. And that coincided with two major life events: the death of his grandfather and the loss of his job as a labourer.”

She said that this created “the perfect storm” which caused him to go off the rails.

Winder was given four months in prison after he admitted breaching his suspended sentence, one month to run concurrently for forgery, another two months to run consecutively for police obstruction and one month, concurrent, for breaching his community order.


News & Star What's On search


Has the bubble burst on Black Friday?

Yes. You can get bargains every day for weeks now

No way! I bagged a load of bargains

After the manic scenes of last year it was always going to settle down

Show Result

Hot jobs
Scan for our iPhone and Android apps
Search for: