Weight jibe man's Carlisle break ended in arrest
Last updated at 12:19, Tuesday, 26 February 2013
A man ended up being arrested after a weekend in Carlisle with his girlfriend.
Kevin Speers, 31, was visiting the city for shopping and sightseeing and was staying at the Ibis Hotel on Botchergate.
He and his girlfriend had gone to Lloyds bar for a few drinks on February 7 when Speers started making jokes about how she had “put on a few pounds”.
At Carlisle Magistrates’ Court, Speers, of Huddersfield, admitted assault by beating.
Prosecutor Pam Ward said: “His girlfriend went back to the room and when he returned later he laughed at her and grabbed her. She was shouting for him to get off. She eventually got free.
“A neighbour heard a female screaming and he reported the matter to the hotel reception who called police.”
Speers was arrested and taken to the police station.
He said: “It was unfortunate and I didn’t mean to get angry or upset her about her weight. It sort of escalated and I got more and more frustrated. I regret the incident and it was out of character for me.”
Speers was fined £515.
First published at 12:17, Tuesday, 26 February 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (19 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (16 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (6 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (8 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (10 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (15 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (46 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (12 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)