Wedding photos help reveal Carlisle woman's fraud
Last updated at 12:56, Saturday, 11 August 2012
A woman's wedding photographs helped convict her of benefit fraud after they were posted on the internet.
Billie-Jo Beagley, 29, of Botcherby Avenue, Carlisle, failed to inform the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) about her new marital status and continued claiming housing, council tax and income support benefits.
At Carlisle Magistrates’ Court, she admitted three charges of benefit fraud, committed between May 24 2010 and October 17 2011.
The married mother of three falsely claimed £11,422.
Prosecutor Diane Jackson told magistrates that in 2008 Mrs Beagley, then known as Cochrane, claimed benefits legally, but had failed to inform the DWP when partner Walter Beagley moved in.
Staff found photographs of her wedding at St Cuthbert’s Church in August last year on the internet
Carly Lancaster told magistrates in mitigation that her client was sorry for what she has done. She is paying the money back
Beagley was placed under a community order for eight months and electronically tagged for four months.
First published at 10:53, Saturday, 11 August 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (19 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (18 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (6 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (8 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (10 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (15 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (46 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (12 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)