Weather warning for Cumbria
Published at 12:31, Saturday, 16 August 2014
The Met Office is warning that strong winds on Sunday could disrupt transport.
Forecasters expect north-westerly gusts of 50mph and large waves along the Cumbrian coast, with gusts of 40-50mph inland.
There will also be frequent showers.
A ‘yellow’ weather warning is in force from 3am to 11.45pm.
A Met Office spokesman said: “While such wind gusts would not be unusual in the autumn and winter, they are likely to pose a few more problems coming in the summer holiday period, especially to those engaged in outdoor activities such as sailing or hill walking.
“Some minor disruption to transport is possible. For example delays to ferries, bridge restrictions and perhaps minor damage to trees.”
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Carlisle man can recall days of the week back to 1801
- Man who scrapped Cumbrian on-street parking charges to quit (10 comments)
- £2m Carlisle football complex given the go-ahead (6 comments)
- Carlisle woman voted third most influential black person (1 comment)
- Special report: Fifth anniversary of Cumbrian floods (1 comment)
- Cumbrian couple charged £100 for bad TripAdvisor review (37 comments)
- Cumbrian firms blast lack of profitability from winter festival (4 comments)
- On-street parking charges for Cumbria scrapped (72 comments)
- Objections raised over plans for 190 homes in Carlisle (3 comments)
- Stagecoach offers half-price deals on weekly bus tickets (11 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northerners (18 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (3 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Brampton Methodist - North Cumbria Circuit
- A wee problem (4 comments)
- Falkland Islanders choice
- Call to dual A69 road after head-on crash near Brampton (22 comments)
- Man charged with attempted rape of girl, 9, remanded in custody
- Brampton nostalgia: A History in Pictures
- Mrs Wellington Boot Writes
- What’s on
- Brampton Fairtrade Town Group
- News from Brampton Parish Council