X

Cookies

Continue We want you to get the most out of using this website, which is why we and our partners use cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to receive these cookies. You can find out more about how we use cookies here.

Friday, 24 October 2014

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Warning after overloaded plug extension led to house fire

A man was taken to hospital and treated for smoke inhalation after a house fire.

An overloaded plug extension has been identified as the cause of the blaze, which “severely damaged” a conservatory and kitchen.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used a thermal imaging camera as they tackled the fire in Annan.

Two fire engines were at the scene, on Greenlea Road, for about two hours on Wednesday evening.

The fire has prompted a seasonal safety warning from Dumfries and Galloway Fire Service as people switch on Christmas lights in their homes and businesses.

Watch manager Jason Gardiner said: “Never be tempted to overload sockets. Ensure only a maximum of 13 amps per socket and never plug one extension lead into another. This will overload the supply and risk starting a fire.

“If you are using an extension lead on a roll, make sure it is completed unrolled before using it. Make sure all Christmas lights are turned off and unplugged before leaving the house or going to bed, and make sure bulbs are not in contact with paper, fabrics or anything that burns easily.”

SHARE THIS ARTICLE

News & Star What's On search





Vote

Should dogs be banned from Talkin Tarn?

Yes, a complete ban is the only way to prevent the mess

No, but instead of creating new tarn attractions the council should spend money on dog wardens

No, most dog owners are very responsible. Why spoil it for the majority?

Show Result

Hot jobs
Scan for our iPhone and Android apps
Search for:
NEWS & STAR ON: