Walker badly hurt in 50ft Lake District fells fall
Published at 12:02, Monday, 27 February 2012
A man suffered serious injuries when he fell 50ft from Sharp Edge on Blencathra – one of two mountain rescues in the Lake District yesterday.
The man in his forties is said to have taken a “tumbling fall” into the gully while descending the ridge, sustaining serious head, facial and leg injuries.
Twenty four members of Keswick Mountain Rescue Team were called out at 2.30pm to carry out the rescue and air support was summoned.
An air ambulance managed to drop off a doctor and paramedic but was then forced to withdraw due to bad weather.
The cloud then descended and as a consequence mountain rescuers had to lower the casulty 150ft. Only then could a Sea King helicopter from RAF Boulmer fly the man to the Cumberland Infirmary in Carlisle for treatment.
The rescue took more than five and a half hours.
Elsewhere, members of the Wasdale team were called out later to help two men who had become lost on Scawfell Pike, near Green Moss. In a rescue lasting more than four hours, the rescuers found the men.
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Police call handling shake-up could cut demand on officers (29 comments)
- Cumbrian council set to axe chief executive job (14 comments)
- Former Carlisle hotel one of England's most at risk buildings (21 comments)
- Thirty new Cumbrian entries in Camra's latest 'beer bible' (5 comments)
- Parents furious as children kept out of lessons for flouting uniform rules (85 comments)
- 'Rude' Cumbrian town name banned at national WI fair (43 comments)
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (39 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (138 comments)
Court & crime
- Carlisle man who had nearly two million child porn images on computer jailed
- Driver lost control and crashed through Carlisle charity shop window
- Carlisle man jailed for lying for cocaine trafficker dad
- Cumbrian man convicted of raid on Dartmouth gift shop
- Men who turned Cumbrian mansion into cannabis farm jailed for total of almost 40 years
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Cumbria police crackdown on drivers using mobile phones (6 comments)
- Ex-Lookaround newsreader begins life as woman she always wanted to be (16 comments)
- Reays brings back City Hopper service; pledges more room for buggies (34 comments)
- Parents will be fined if caught smoking in cars carrying children (21 comments)
- Tweet made Austin look a proper Charlie (1 comment)