Voting takes place on Thursday in Carlisle by-election
Published at 13:09, Tuesday, 03 September 2013
Voting takes place on Thursday in a by-election in Carlisle’s Yewdale ward following the death earlier this year of city council leader Joe Hendry.
Professor Hendry died in May while being treated at the Cumberland Infirmary in Carlisle after suffering a heart attack. He was 67 and had led Labour back into power last year after 13 years in opposition.
Polling cards have been sent to all 4,878 eligible voters. Polling stations open at 7am and close at 10pm. Voters who have requested a postal vote are also reminded to send in their vote.
Jason Gooding, Carlisle City Council’s town clerk and chief executive, said: “We want as many voters as possible to come out and make their mark. Local government provides a wide-range of services to residents and elections allow them the opportunity to have their say.”
Candidates are Tom Dodd, Labour Party, from Dalston Road; Christine Finlayson, Conservative Party, from Askerton Close; Terence Jones, Liberal Democrat Party, from Caldew Maltings; Charmian McCutcheon, Green Party, from Newtown, Irthington and Mike Owen, UK Independence Party, from The Old Tannery in Scotby.
The five polling stations are at Yewdale Community Centre where there are two, Richard Rose Morton Academy, a portable cabin at the junction of Nairn Way and Egerton Grove and another cabin at Whernside/Richmond Green.
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Double blow as historic Carlisle pub and club close (5 comments)
- Cheapest fuel prices in Cumbria revealed (5 comments)
- Carlisle bouncers could get body-mounted cameras (10 comments)
- United Utilities outlines reasons for seven-mile Lake District fence (4 comments)
- NMP to be stripped of Sellafield contract - claims (23 comments)
- Carlisle Utd co-owner: fans threatened me with violence (11 comments)
- Tesco drops plans to build new superstore in Carlisle (37 comments)
- Crime less than fifth of all calls to Cumbria police (1 comment)
- New Ofsted report heaps more praise on Cumbrian school (13 comments)
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Staff devastated after fire destroys part of Cumbrian hospital (1 comment)
- Police warning of fishmonger scam
- Mercy plea from army bosses saves Carlisle soldier from prison
- Carlisle Utd on the brink of 'exciting' new investment (22 comments)
- Cumbrian woman banned from 45 shops after stealing £1 milkshake
- Fans petition Carlisle Utd owners to sell club (109 comments)
- Dog fouling crackdown gets under way in Carlisle (72 comments)
- MD Nixon: Last week was my blackest time at Carlisle Utd (45 comments)
- Labour’s all-female shortlist for Workington is boost for women - claim (42 comments)
- Grieving man’s call to ban dogs from Carlisle Cemetery (47 comments)