Vision Express takes over branches of Stephen Rowe Opticians
Last updated at 08:40, Friday, 07 February 2014
A fixture of Carlisle’s retail scene for almost 40 years has disappeared from view.
The branch of Stephen Rowe Opticians on St Cuthbert’s Lane, which opened in 1976, has closed after Vision Express took over 65 outlets across the UK from holding company Rayner.
Branches in Penrith and Workington will also change hands, but those in Brampton, Wigton, Keswick, Maryport and Annan will continue to be owned by Rayner. It is not clear whether they will operate under the Stephen Rowe banner.
A Vision Express spokeswoman said the firm, which has a store in The Lanes, would “seek to retain the valued experience of the new teams within the Vision Express store network”.
Stephen Rowe was owned locally until 2001, when it was sold to Rayner.
Eric Hagan, who runs opticians in Brampton and Longtown and is a former director of Stephen Rowe, said he was sad to see the loss of the Carlisle store
He added: “When it was sold before a lot of the people left.
“They had liked working for a small, local practice.”
First published at 08:39, Friday, 07 February 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (19 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (18 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (6 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (8 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (10 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (15 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (46 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (12 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)