Historic Lake District pub engulfed by flames
Last updated at 08:43, Saturday, 07 June 2014
An historic Lake District pub has been destroyed by a fire overnight.
Two fire crews remain on scene at the 17th century Queen’s Head Hotel, in Troutbeck near Windermere, ensuring there are no hot spots.
Cumbria County Fire and Rescue Service received its first reports of the incident at about 9.30pm yesterday.
At its height, 11 fire engines - including crews and specialist equipment from all over the county - tried to get the blaze under control, but they were unable to save the listed building.
The exact cause of the fire is still unknown, as fire investigators must wait until the building has been deemed safe before they can begin. However, it is suspected it may have begun in the laundry room.
No one was injured in the fire.
Cumbria Police this morning said that the A592 Kirkstone Pass was closed at Town Head, Troutbeck, as a result of the fire.
Diversions are in place on the A66 for 3.5 tonnes and above - such as HGVs and coaches.
Light vehicles are able to use The Struggle but are advised to use extreme care due to the possible high volume of traffic that may be using it.
The road closure is expected to be in place until about 10am.
First published at 07:32, Saturday, 07 June 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Cumbrian MP: We need second jobs (40 comments)
- Cumbrian brothers plan to swim the River Eden (3 comments)
- Carlisle on course to set bizarre club record (2 comments)
- Carlisle barber retiring after 54 years (9 comments)
- Housebuilder reveals plans for hundreds of new homes (39 comments)
- Carlisle shopping centre on sale for £1.5m (30 comments)
- Carlisle's Civic Centre to stop taking cash payments (14 comments)
- Staff moved so Cumbrian council can rent out office (5 comments)
- Premier Inn gets go-ahead for town centre hotel (14 comments)
- Carlisle Cathedral revamp plans slammed (39 comments)
- Why is Cumbrian coastguard HQ being moved inland? (21 comments)
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|