Two fires break out at same west Cumbrian farm
Last updated at 12:36, Monday, 24 September 2012
Firefighters were called to the same farm twice over the weekend following two blazes in the same building.
The first, on Saturday afternoon, saw around 30 firefighters spend three hours battling a fire which broke out in an agricultural building.
It happened at a farm near Birkby, near Maryport, just off the A596, at about 2.30pm. Residents in surrounding villages reported seeing thick black smoke engulfing the area.
Five fire engines, from Maryport, Aspatria, Workington, Cockermouth and Whitehaven, were at the scene until just after 5.30pm. Firefighters wearing breathing equipment extinguished the barn fire using hose reels and foam.
Then, yesterday morning, two crews from Maryport were called back out to the same farm after fire broke out again. This time the blaze was under the dryer, where a small quantity of grain was well alight.
After getting the call just before 6.45am, firefighters used two main jets to extinguish the flames.
First published at 11:24, Monday, 24 September 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Police call handling shake-up could cut demand on officers (29 comments)
- Cumbrian council set to axe chief executive job (14 comments)
- Former Carlisle hotel one of England's most at risk buildings (22 comments)
- Thirty new Cumbrian entries in Camra's latest 'beer bible' (5 comments)
- Parents furious as children kept out of lessons for flouting uniform rules (85 comments)
- 'Rude' Cumbrian town name banned at national WI fair (44 comments)
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (40 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (139 comments)
Court & crime
- Carlisle man who had nearly two million child porn images on computer jailed
- Driver lost control and crashed through Carlisle charity shop window
- Carlisle man jailed for lying for cocaine trafficker dad
- Cumbrian man convicted of raid on Dartmouth gift shop
- Men who turned Cumbrian mansion into cannabis farm jailed for total of almost 40 years