Sunday, 29 November 2015

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Tributes paid to man who's died 18 months after motorbike accident

Tributes have been paid to a “happy go lucky” young dad who “would do anything for anyone”.

Matthew Sanderson photo
Matthew Sanderson

Popular Matthew Sanderson, 24, of Plumbland near Aspatria, died last week, 18 months after he was in a motorbike accident in August 2012.

He was left brain damaged following the incident in Ireby and had been in hospitals and care homes ever since.

Matthew died peacefully at the Cumberland Infirmary in Carlisle last Thursday after falling ill.

His grieving family have told how Matthew, who had a four-year-old son Jamie, would forever be remembered for having a beaming smile and giving everyone the “thumbs up” gesture.

In moving tributes, dad Robin, mum Dot, and his two elder brothers, Michael and David, said: “He was just happy go lucky. A jolly young man and if he saw you in the car his thumb would go up and he always had a big smile on his face.

“He wore his heart on his sleeve and was very honest and would do anything for anyone.

“Michael was so polite and well mannered, very likeable, and he wouldn’t ignore anyone – he would go out of his way to help people.”

Matthew, who worked as a joiner at Roland Hill Ltd in Aspatria, met his childhood sweetheart Heather Reed at Nelson Thomlinson School in Wigton when the pair were just 15.

The football-mad Manchester United fan played for various local pub teams and enjoyed all sports.

He was also a keen mountain biker and loved motorbikes.

Robin and Dot recalled the time his son turned up at the airport to go on holiday to Corfu with his pals, only to realise he had forgotten his passport.

They said: “He had to come all the way back home! He managed to get away eventually though.”

Another time Matthew visited his uncle and auntie but there was no response when he knocked at the door.

So he decided to take an entire plastic window out then go inside to wait.

“His auntie got home and thought there was a burglar in the house – that sums him up,” they said.

And they also told how Matthew made a no-nonsense first impression when he first got together with Heather.

Robin explained: “They were walking to class one day when Heather tried to hold Matthew’s hand.

“He turned round and told her ‘I don’t do hands’ – they never held hands after that!”

The family also praised staff at Applegarth Nursing Home in Carlisle for the care they gave Matthew.

Up to 300 people are expected at his funeral tomorrow at St Cuthbert’s Church in Plumbland.

There will be a wake at the Horse and Jockey Inn at Parsonby afterwards.

The family added: “We would like to thank all Matthew’s friends and extended family for their support – it’s been absolutely wonderful.”


News & Star What's On search


Has the bubble burst on Black Friday?

Yes. You can get bargains every day for weeks now

No way! I bagged a load of bargains

After the manic scenes of last year it was always going to settle down

Show Result

Hot jobs
Scan for our iPhone and Android apps
Search for: