Tributes paid to dedicated Cumbrian councillor
Last updated at 13:08, Wednesday, 30 January 2013
Tributes have been paid to Cam Ross – a dedicated and passionate councillor – who has died at the age of 76.
Mr Ross, who represented the Distington and Moresby area for many years, died at his Kirkland home on January 22. He leaves wife Mary, daughters Alison and Ailsa, and four grandchildren.
A Labour man, Mr Ross was elected to represent the Distington and Moresby area on Cumbria County Council in 2001, and served three terms.
Friend and colleague Brian Dixon said Mr Ross was instrumental in bringing about a number of road improvements in his patch.
“He was committed to having the new A595 bypass built, and it was a real victory when that was finally built in 2009,” said Mr Dixon.
Cumbria County Council’s local committee for Copeland chairman Frank Morgan, said: “Cam was an excellent councillor for his community, and his is a sad loss for the committee, the community and the people he represented.”
Stewart Young, deputy leader of the county council and leader of the Labour group, said: “Cam will be a great loss to the Labour group. His knowledge and experience was greatly valued, and his wise counsel will be sadly missed.
“Distington has lost a highly respected representative and our thoughts are with his family at their time of loss.”
First published at 11:43, Wednesday, 30 January 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Double blow as historic Carlisle pub and club close (5 comments)
- Cheapest fuel prices in Cumbria revealed (5 comments)
- Carlisle bouncers could get body-mounted cameras (10 comments)
- United Utilities outlines reasons for seven-mile Lake District fence (4 comments)
- NMP to be stripped of Sellafield contract - claims (23 comments)
- Carlisle Utd co-owner: fans threatened me with violence (11 comments)
- Tesco drops plans to build new superstore in Carlisle (37 comments)
- Crime less than fifth of all calls to Cumbria police (1 comment)
- New Ofsted report heaps more praise on Cumbrian school (13 comments)
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Fans petition Carlisle Utd owners to sell club (109 comments)
- Dog fouling crackdown gets under way in Carlisle (72 comments)
- MD Nixon: Last week was my blackest time at Carlisle Utd (45 comments)
- Labour’s all-female shortlist for Workington is boost for women - claim (42 comments)
- Grieving man’s call to ban dogs from Carlisle Cemetery (47 comments)