Tribute to wife of climber Sir Chris Bonington
Last updated at 11:14, Tuesday, 29 July 2014
The veteran mountaineer Doug Scott has today paid tribute to Lady Wendy Bonington, the wife of his fellow climber Sir Chris Bonington.
She died at the couple’s home near Caldbeck on Thursday morning, with her husband and other family members at her bedside.
Earlier this year, it was reported that Lady Bonington, his wife of more than 50 years, was suffering from motor neurone disease.
Speaking yesterday, Mr Scott, a long-time friend, said: “She was a wonderful woman and wonderful wife to Chris, wise and caring.
“I’ve known her since I got to know Chris, and she’s always been a wonderful support. It must have been very hard because for months at a time she had to live with the knowledge that he might not come back – as many [mountaineers] didn’t.”
“She herself was a wonderful woman, and was into the Alexander technique, helping people with their pains.”
Mr Scott said Sir Chris was holding his wife’s hand when she passed away.
In February, Sir Chris, who conquered Everest in 1985, spoke of how nursing his poorly wife was the hardest thing he has ever done.
He said: “Watching someone you love so dearly slowly fade is horrendous.
“It’s the hardest thing I’ve experienced in my life. “It’s a truly terrible disease. It’s also a very rare condition, so there is not much incentive for big drugs companies to research treatments.
“I’ll be working with the MND Association to help raise awareness.”
First published at 11:09, Tuesday, 29 July 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Italian chain planning Carlisle city centre restaurant (7 comments)
- West Cumbrian police station will not be casualty of cuts, MP told (3 comments)
- Council tax to rise as Carlisle tries to cope with cuts (35 comments)
- Petition demands Carlisle council action over dog mess and litter (19 comments)
- Primark to open store in Carlisle (111 comments)
- Fire stations and care homes at risk in Cumbria council cuts (47 comments)
- Cumbria police may be reduced to 'blue light' service if funding cuts go-ahead (63 comments)
- Lawyers told to find way out of Carlisle hospital's 'crippling' PFI contract (50 comments)
Court & crime
- No room for hate in a broken heart
- We shouldn’t lose sight of the kindness and compassion (8 comments)
- Primed not to care (2 comments)
- Not just cutout cops who face the chop (5 comments)
- More Anne Pickles
|NEWS & STAR ON:|