Sunday, 29 November 2015

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Tragedy of man who fell from second floor hospital window

A Maryport man who died after falling from a hospital window had complained of aliens talking to him through a chip in his wrist just hours before his death.

Deividas Sereika photo
Deividas Sereika

Deividas Sereika, 40, of Edinburgh Road, died at Whitehaven’s West Cumberland Hospital on May 8 last year after the fall from a second floor window.

An inquest into his death has begun in Cockermouth.

The coroner heard that police were sent to Mr Sereika’s house at just after 1.30pm on May 8 after a 999 call from his mother. Officers found him in a distressed state, complaining that aliens were talking to him through a chip in his wrist.

Mr Sereika, who moved to Maryport about six years ago from Lithuania, told officers that if they didn’t lock him up he would “kill today”. However, communication problems meant the policemen didn’t know if he meant he would kill himself or the aliens.

PC Matt Brannan, who attended the 999 call and then phoned an ambulance, told the inquest: “It was apparent that Mr Sereika was in a confused state. He was talking to his wrist which was out of the ordinary.

“He was compliant and was happy to be taken away by the ambulance.”

PC Brannan was given a phone number by Mr Sereika’s mother which put him through to the crisis team at the West Cumberland Hospital. They told him that they were aware of Mr Sereika and would see him when he came in. Officers also established from Mr Sereika’s mother that he hadn’t drunk any alcohol in the previous four days.

The inquest also heard from Detective Sergeant George Atkinson who was at the West Cumberland Hospital on May 8 with his wife, while off-duty.

He sat directly opposite Mr Sereika and his mother in a waiting area. He described how Mr Sereika appeared agitated, was constantly talking to himself and raised his voice on several occasions.

Mr Atkinson said a member of medical staff came to talk to Mr Sereika which appeared to calm him down, but his behaviour left people in the waiting area on edge.

The inquest was told Mr Sereika had previously been sectioned under the Mental Health Act in December 2012. From December 21 to December 28 he was assessed by a mental health team after police found him drunk and complaining of voices coming from a chip in his wrist.

Dr Aliveni Ramanujam, a psychiatrist with the Cumbria Partnership NHS Foundation Trust, said in statement that during a 72-hour assessment he displayed no overt psychotic symptoms and was not deemed to be a risk to himself or others.

He was discharged and it was agreed he would visit the alcohol recovery service, Unity.

Dr Leonard Ben Bassey, a consultant who observed Mr Sereika when he was sectioned in 2012, said he believed the delusions about a chip in his wrist stemmed from his alcohol problems. When he was sectioned, Mr Sereika’s behaviour improved quickly, he was willing to accept help and then asked to be discharged.

The inquest also heard a written statement from Dr J Davis, from Maryport Health Services. Mr Sereika was again admitted to hospital on January 2013 after drinking too much alcohol and was transferred to the mental health services.

A pathologist report showed the cause of death to be a mesenteric tear and chest injury. A toxicology report found no alcohol in his system.

The inquest continues.


News & Star What's On search


Has the bubble burst on Black Friday?

Yes. You can get bargains every day for weeks now

No way! I bagged a load of bargains

After the manic scenes of last year it was always going to settle down

Show Result

Hot jobs
Scan for our iPhone and Android apps
Search for: