Top chef Simon Rogan will pop up at Cumbrian festival
Last updated at 11:44, Friday, 06 June 2014
Simon Rogan will be the star attraction at a showcase of Cumbria’s finest food.
The county’s most famous chef today said he can’t wait for the event as details of the fifth Taste Cumbria festival were revealed.
About 30,000 people attended last year’s festival – with economic experts estimating the showcase’s worth to the county at £1.9m.
Michelin-starred Rogan will be leaving his newest prestigious venture, at Claridge’s in London, to travel to Cockermouth to host the September festival’s pop-up restaurant.
He said: “I can’t wait to get back to Taste Cumbria.
“It’s been a mad few months in my business but there was no way I was going to miss it.
“I love the challenge of cooking in that pop-up environment and bringing my style of dining to new and different audiences.
“We’re rightly proud of our produce and the talent within our hospitality business in Cumbria. Taste Cumbria is an event that no food lover should miss.”
Rogan is one of the most high-profile champions of Cumbrian produce and has seen his star rise rapidly through his L’Enclume, Rogan and Co and the Pig and Whistle ventures in Cartmel, south Cumbria.
Taste Cumbria is the county’s biggest food festival. It was set up to revive Cockermouth in the wake of the 2009 floods and has proved to be the premier place for farmers, food producers and chefs to showcase their skills.
This year there will be more than 100 market stalls, as well as masterclasses, demonstrations and the Grub Club, which encourages children to cook.
The festival is being organised by CN Events, part of the News & Star’s parent company CN Group.
Nick Lawler, owner of Winder Country House Hotel, near Cockermouth, is chairman of the Taste Cumbria steering group.
He said: “If you’ve never been to Taste Cumbria, this is the year to do it.
“We are hugely privileged to have persuaded Simon Rogan to come back. Who knows, next year he will have taken over the world and won’t be able to squeeze us in.
“You’ll also see more Cumbrian producers, chefs and food and drink experts than ever before, all in one place. It’s lining up to be a mouth-wateringly good festival.”
Allerdale Council leader Alan Smith said the worth of the festival to the area cannot be underestimated and is pleased the authority has stepped in as the main funder when other organisations pulled out.
He added: “It’s a brilliant thing to be involved in.”
First published at 11:27, Friday, 06 June 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Police call handling shake-up could cut demand on officers (29 comments)
- Cumbrian council set to axe chief executive job (14 comments)
- Former Carlisle hotel one of England's most at risk buildings (21 comments)
- Thirty new Cumbrian entries in Camra's latest 'beer bible' (5 comments)
- Parents furious as children kept out of lessons for flouting uniform rules (85 comments)
- 'Rude' Cumbrian town name banned at national WI fair (43 comments)
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (39 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (138 comments)
Court & crime
- Carlisle man who had nearly two million child porn images on computer jailed
- Driver lost control and crashed through Carlisle charity shop window
- Carlisle man jailed for lying for cocaine trafficker dad
- Cumbrian man convicted of raid on Dartmouth gift shop
- Men who turned Cumbrian mansion into cannabis farm jailed for total of almost 40 years
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Cumbria police crackdown on drivers using mobile phones (6 comments)
- Ex-Lookaround newsreader begins life as woman she always wanted to be (16 comments)
- Reays brings back City Hopper service; pledges more room for buggies (34 comments)
- Parents will be fined if caught smoking in cars carrying children (21 comments)
- Tweet made Austin look a proper Charlie (1 comment)