Three-year football ban for Carlisle teen who fought after friendly match
Last updated at 17:05, Saturday, 16 February 2013
A young man was part of a group that started a fight with rival fans has been banned from attending any football match.
A three-year football banning order has been slapped on 18-year-old Jason Bell for the part he played in a disturbance after a friendly game between Carlisle United and Middlesbrough.
He was with a group of United supporters who became embroiled in a fight with fans of their opponents on Warwick Road, near the Blues’ Brunton Park ground, where the match was held on August 3.
Carlisle Magistrates’ Court was told that Bell, of Richardson Street, Denton Holme, was seen throwing punches and was thought to have kicked someone on the ground.
But, representing himself, Richardson said: “I was stupid and I’ll get what I deserve, but I didn’t kick anybody.”
He added that he hadn’t been to a United home game since.
Sentencing, District Judge Gerald Chalk told him that violence – including group action – would not be tolerated. He ordered Richardson to carry out 100 hours of unpaid work in the community as part of a year-long community order and pay £85 prosecution costs.
The judge also sentenced him to a banning order that means he cannot attend any regulated football match in England or Wales – or attend any England international away game – for the next three years.
Carlisle United and Cumbria police have repeatedly said they will take a tough stance against anyone involved in trouble linked to football matches.
First published at 17:04, Saturday, 16 February 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Carlisle Utd in further talks with "billionaire"
- Lake District's World Heritage status bid moves forward (5 comments)
- Thousands backing campaign to make Cumbria Scottish (133 comments)
- St Bees School set to reopen next year (45 comments)
- Two new housing schemes tabled for Carlisle (17 comments)
- Stagecoach making changes to bus routes across Carlisle (34 comments)
- Cumbria's children's service still failing (42 comments)
- Conservative Stevenson retains Carlisle (104 comments)
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|