Three men and woman arrested in Carlisle after robbery
Last updated at 13:15, Saturday, 19 April 2014
Armed police arrested three men and a woman in Carlisle after an alleged knifepoint robbery at a building society.
Officers swooped on an address in Eldon Drive, in Harraby, as a police helicopter hovered above the scene in dramatic scenes following the alleged raid at Silloth.
Detective Inspector Ian Hall, from West Cumbria CID, confirmed that they arrested a 25-year-old man, a 24-year-old man and a 30-year-old woman at the house on Thursday evening, hours after the alleged robbery at the Cumberland Building Society.
The 24-year-old was later released without charge but another suspect, a 35-year-old man from the Carlisle area, was arrested yesterday.
The two men and the woman have been charged with robbery and were due to appear before magistrates in Workington today.
The manhunt followed an incident at the building society, in Station Road in Silloth, just after 1.10pm on Thursday, in which a quantity of cash was taken.
A car was recovered by police on Thursday.
Eldon Drive was quiet yesterday but one resident, who wanted to remain anonymous, said that there were about seven police vans in the area on Thursday night.
All roads in and out of Silloth were blocked for a time by police on Thursday afternoon.
A helicopter from the National Police Air Service was involved and motorists were asked to avoid the area.
Up to 10 police cars were at the scene and an alley on Eden Street, near the building society branch, was cordoned off and was being searched.
Police are keen to trace the movements of a Ford Focus car, registration V647 KOX, between 1pm and 4pm. Call 101 with details.
First published at 13:11, Saturday, 19 April 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Police call handling shake-up could cut demand on officers (29 comments)
- Cumbrian council set to axe chief executive job (14 comments)
- Former Carlisle hotel one of England's most at risk buildings (21 comments)
- Thirty new Cumbrian entries in Camra's latest 'beer bible' (5 comments)
- Parents furious as children kept out of lessons for flouting uniform rules (85 comments)
- 'Rude' Cumbrian town name banned at national WI fair (43 comments)
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (39 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (138 comments)
Court & crime
- Carlisle man who had nearly two million child porn images on computer jailed
- Driver lost control and crashed through Carlisle charity shop window
- Carlisle man jailed for lying for cocaine trafficker dad
- Cumbrian man convicted of raid on Dartmouth gift shop
- Men who turned Cumbrian mansion into cannabis farm jailed for total of almost 40 years
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Cumbria police crackdown on drivers using mobile phones (6 comments)
- Ex-Lookaround newsreader begins life as woman she always wanted to be (16 comments)
- Reays brings back City Hopper service; pledges more room for buggies (34 comments)
- Parents will be fined if caught smoking in cars carrying children (21 comments)
- Tweet made Austin look a proper Charlie (1 comment)