Thieves steal cancer charity cash during raid on Cumbrian club
Last updated at 17:13, Tuesday, 14 May 2013
Thieves smashed their way into the Royal British Legion club in Workington and stole cash raised for a cancer charity.
The intruders broke a door in two to force their way into the club, on Salterbeck Road, in an early morning raid. They vandalised the inside before making off with hundreds of pounds raised by the treasurer’s daughter.
Devastated treasurer Les Ash, of Harrington Royal British Legion club, said they had “ransacked” it.
“They poured paint around the cellar and over the tills,” he said. “It really is disappointing. They broke in during the early hours and took sponsor money and dart money.
“They smashed the door in two to get in and they ransacked behind the bar.”
The thieves escaped with around £500, of which £300 had been raised by Les’s daughter when she took part in the Great North Run, he said.
Les said it was rare for the club to be targeted.
“Over the years there have been break-ins but it is a lot less now than it used to be,” he said.
“It only happens on rare occasions.”
A workman was called in to fix the damaged door yesterday afternoon and the club hoped to reopen again last night.
Police are investigating the burglary, in the early hours of yesterday morning and appealed for witnesses to come forward. Anyone with information should call 101.
- A 21-year-old man from Workington has been arrested and released on police bail until August 9.
First published at 17:03, Tuesday, 14 May 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Police call handling shake-up could cut demand on officers (29 comments)
- Cumbrian council set to axe chief executive job (14 comments)
- Former Carlisle hotel one of England's most at risk buildings (21 comments)
- Thirty new Cumbrian entries in Camra's latest 'beer bible' (5 comments)
- Parents furious as children kept out of lessons for flouting uniform rules (85 comments)
- 'Rude' Cumbrian town name banned at national WI fair (44 comments)
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (40 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (139 comments)
Court & crime
- Carlisle man who had nearly two million child porn images on computer jailed
- Driver lost control and crashed through Carlisle charity shop window
- Carlisle man jailed for lying for cocaine trafficker dad
- Cumbrian man convicted of raid on Dartmouth gift shop
- Men who turned Cumbrian mansion into cannabis farm jailed for total of almost 40 years