Thief back in Carlisle court for second time in two days
Last updated at 12:06, Wednesday, 16 January 2013
A prolific offender was back in court for the second time in two days and admitted stealing to get a bed for the night.
Andrew John Jason Bell, 35, of no fixed abode, was arrested on Monday night just after 10pm. He stole a £3.29 sandwich from the Shell garage at Hardwicke Circus.
Carlisle Magistrates’ Court was told that when police arrived, Bell told them he stole to get a bed for the night, as he was homeless and hungry.
He was arrested and appeared in court yesterday afternoon when he pleaded guilty to theft.
Magistrates told Bell, who has 50 convictions for 80 offences, that they had no option than to impose a custodial sentence for seven days.
The court was told he owes the court £467.80 in fines.
He will serve a total of 28 days in prison for the two thefts, breaching a community order and non payment of fines.
On Monday, in court, Bell pleaded guilty to stealing a bottle of wine from Sainsbury’s in Stanwix.
First published at 11:41, Wednesday, 16 January 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Carlisle man can recall days of the week back to 1801 (1 comment)
- Man who scrapped Cumbrian on-street parking charges to quit (13 comments)
- £2m Carlisle football complex given the go-ahead (18 comments)
- Carlisle woman voted third most influential black person (6 comments)
- Special report: Fifth anniversary of Cumbrian floods (3 comments)
- Cumbrian couple charged £100 for bad TripAdvisor review (40 comments)
- Cumbrian firms blast lack of profitability from winter festival (5 comments)
- On-street parking charges for Cumbria scrapped (82 comments)
- Objections raised over plans for 190 homes in Carlisle (5 comments)
- Stagecoach offers half-price deals on weekly bus tickets (17 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northerners (19 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (3 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (3 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Grange Disability Action Group
- Work on multi-million housing development in South Cumbria under way
- Former Barrow Raiders coach Clark has new job with RFL
- Schoolchildren help spread the Christmas message with a project with a difference
- Sunset over South Cumbria
- Directors sew proud of Love Barrow Award nomination
- Kind £1,000 donation will help Dalton girl to watch the world go by