Tenant paid rent in drugs, Carlisle court told
Last updated at 12:52, Wednesday, 20 February 2013
A man gave his landlord illegal drugs as a way of paying off his debt when he fell behind with rent.
Mark Hawkins, 35, found himself owing “a significant amount” to Darren Allen while renting a room at his home in Castlefield, Ambleside, Carlisle Crown Court heard. He asked him if he would accept cannabis instead of cash, telling him he could sell it to raise money in lieu of the rent.
Police raided the house and arrested both men after finding drugs.
And the pair stood side by side in the dock on Monday.
Hawkins, whose latest address was listed as Rydal Road, Ambleside, pleaded guilty to producing cannabis, supplying it, and possessing the class B drug with intent to supply it.
He also admitted possessing a small amount of cocaine for his own use.
Allen pleaded guilty to possessing cannabis with intent to supply it.
Hawkins was given a nine-month jail sentence, suspended for two years, ordered to do 100 hours unpaid community work and must attend drug rehabilitation sessions.
Allen was given a six-month prison sentence, suspended for two years, and ordered to do 100 hours unpaid work.
First published at 12:51, Wednesday, 20 February 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Police call handling shake-up could cut demand on officers (29 comments)
- Cumbrian council set to axe chief executive job (14 comments)
- Former Carlisle hotel one of England's most at risk buildings (21 comments)
- Thirty new Cumbrian entries in Camra's latest 'beer bible' (5 comments)
- Parents furious as children kept out of lessons for flouting uniform rules (85 comments)
- 'Rude' Cumbrian town name banned at national WI fair (43 comments)
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (39 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (138 comments)
Court & crime
- Carlisle man who had nearly two million child porn images on computer jailed
- Driver lost control and crashed through Carlisle charity shop window
- Carlisle man jailed for lying for cocaine trafficker dad
- Cumbrian man convicted of raid on Dartmouth gift shop
- Men who turned Cumbrian mansion into cannabis farm jailed for total of almost 40 years
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Cumbria police crackdown on drivers using mobile phones (6 comments)
- Ex-Lookaround newsreader begins life as woman she always wanted to be (16 comments)
- Reays brings back City Hopper service; pledges more room for buggies (34 comments)
- Parents will be fined if caught smoking in cars carrying children (21 comments)
- Tweet made Austin look a proper Charlie (1 comment)