Teenager who took boat for bet sentenced by court
Last updated at 12:26, Thursday, 03 July 2014
Messing around in a Whitehaven Harbour rowing boat for a bet landed a teenager in court.
Police were called to reports of someone climbing on a security fencing at West Strand, to find a crowd gathered on the pier to watch the antics of Daniel O’Fee, 18.
West Cumbria magistrates heard yesterday that O’Fee took the boat and then refused to return it, insisting he was “having fun”.
The teenager also shouted to officers: “Come and get me.”
O’Fee is said to have taken his shirt off during the episode which lasted two hours on the evening of June 17.
The defendant, of Hilltop Road, Kells, pleaded guilty to taking a boat without the owner’s contest and was given an eight-week curfew to run from 7pm to 7am.
He admitted a further public disorder charge which attracted a £75 fine. Court costs of £85 and a £60 victim surcharge were also imposed.
Neil Pilling, representing O’Fee, told magistrates: “He was messing about and didn’t think it was serious. He knows now that it was.”
First published at 12:25, Thursday, 03 July 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Parking ban on staff at Carlisle's Cumberland Infirmary (103 comments)
- National Grid reveals route for new power lines network (34 comments)
- Have your say on how much to pay Cumbria's county councillors
- New council base could bring hundreds of jobs to Workington (13 comments)
- Health chiefs' secret plans to split north Cumbria's hospitals (47 comments)
- Bid to use BT phone kiosks to house defibrillators (16 comments)
- Theft-hit Carlisle church forced to close its doors (12 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in further talks with "billionaire"
- Thousands backing campaign to make Cumbria Scottish (169 comments)
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Hundreds offer to quit Cumbria County Council (37 comments)
- We ARE talking to a billionaire say Carlisle Utd owners (31 comments)
- State-of-the-art buses in Carlisle blasted by passengers
- Vulcan bomber thrills crowds at Carlisle fly past (6 comments)
- Cumbrian couple's wedding to be one in a Minion (5 comments)