X

Cookies

Continue We want you to get the most out of using this website, which is why we and our partners use cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to receive these cookies. You can find out more about how we use cookies here.

Wednesday, 23 July 2014

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Suspended chief constable has still not seen detail of allegations against him

Cumbria's suspended chief constable says he is still waiting to see “in detail” allegations levelled against him.

Stuart Hyde photo
Stuart Hyde

Stuart Hyde, who has been away from his post since last autumn, added he believed he would be cleared following an inquiry being carried out by another force.

He was speaking after it was confirmed that his suspension would stay in place following a monthly review by Cumbria’s crime commissioner Richard Rhodes.

Mr Hyde was told to stay away from his duties in September last year following allegations of serious misconduct.

The Independent Police Complaints Commission later said the allegations did not “amount to serious misconduct” – or were “based on unsupported suspicion”. It did add “some matters may require an investigation”.

An inquiry is now being carried out by South Wales Police.

Mr Hyde said: “I am extremely disappointed that my suspension is now entering its sixth month.

“Throughout this period I have co-operated fully and voluntarily submitted information and I will continue to do so.

“I understand the investigation is still yet to be completed.

“I still await the opportunity to see in detail any of the allegations and respond to them.

“I am aware that some allegations have already been shown to be without foundation and believe this will be the outcome for the remainder.”

Mr Hyde said he “very much hoped” the investigation would be finished soon, adding: “I remain committed to return to my role as chief constable and to serving Cumbria.”

Mr Rhodes said: “Following a full briefing and given that the investigation by South Wales Police continues, I have decided that Mr Hyde should remain suspended.

“I take all allegations against any police officer seriously.

“I stress suspension is a neutral act that will enable a full and thorough investigation. A further review will take place within the next four weeks.”

The precise nature of the allegations that sparked the suspension has not been revealed.

Bernard Lawson, deputy chief constable of Merseyside Police, has taken over as chief constable in Cumbria temporarily.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE

News & Star What's On search





Vote

Given the tide of public opinion against on-street parking charges in Cumbria, should county councillors scrap the plan now?

Yes. They should show they hear the voice of the people

No. The council needs the money and has to get it from somewhere

Town centres will suffer but the council will spend £10m on a new HQ. How can that be right?

Show Result

Hot jobs
Scan for our iPhone and Android apps
Search for:
NEWS & STAR ON: