Monday, 31 August 2015

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Students escape as fire rips through Cumbrian house

Fire badly damaged a student house at Newton Rigg College, near Penrith, early today.

The semi-detached property had been converted into bedsits for four students, all of whom escaped unhurt.

The blaze began on the ground floor and quickly took hold.

Firefighters believe it was caused by clothes which ignited after being left to dry near a night-storage heater.

The ground floor was severely damaged and the upstairs heavily smoke logged.

Station manager Craig Drinkald, of Cumbria Fire and Rescue Service, said: “The key message is keep clothing away from electric heaters and fires.”

Firefighters were called at 2.30am and were at the scene for two-and-a-half hours.

Four appliances were involved.

Eight firefighters in breathing apparatus used hose-reel jets to douse the flames after they searched the smoke-logged building to make sure no-one was trapped inside.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE

News & Star What's On search





Vote

Have we reached saturation point with bars in the city?

No - the more the merrier. It helps to have choice

Yes - we could do with more specialist shops, not bars

As long as they are not all the same I don't mind how many there are

Show Result

Hot jobs
Scan for our iPhone and Android apps
Search for:
NEWS & STAR ON: