Students escape as fire rips through Cumbrian house
Last updated at 12:16, Monday, 26 November 2012
Fire badly damaged a student house at Newton Rigg College, near Penrith, early today.
The semi-detached property had been converted into bedsits for four students, all of whom escaped unhurt.
The blaze began on the ground floor and quickly took hold.
Firefighters believe it was caused by clothes which ignited after being left to dry near a night-storage heater.
The ground floor was severely damaged and the upstairs heavily smoke logged.
Station manager Craig Drinkald, of Cumbria Fire and Rescue Service, said: “The key message is keep clothing away from electric heaters and fires.”
Firefighters were called at 2.30am and were at the scene for two-and-a-half hours.
Four appliances were involved.
Eight firefighters in breathing apparatus used hose-reel jets to douse the flames after they searched the smoke-logged building to make sure no-one was trapped inside.
First published at 12:13, Monday, 26 November 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (19 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (18 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (6 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (8 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (10 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (15 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (46 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (12 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)