Wednesday, 02 September 2015

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Students escape as fire rips through Cumbrian house

Fire badly damaged a student house at Newton Rigg College, near Penrith, early today.

The semi-detached property had been converted into bedsits for four students, all of whom escaped unhurt.

The blaze began on the ground floor and quickly took hold.

Firefighters believe it was caused by clothes which ignited after being left to dry near a night-storage heater.

The ground floor was severely damaged and the upstairs heavily smoke logged.

Station manager Craig Drinkald, of Cumbria Fire and Rescue Service, said: “The key message is keep clothing away from electric heaters and fires.”

Firefighters were called at 2.30am and were at the scene for two-and-a-half hours.

Four appliances were involved.

Eight firefighters in breathing apparatus used hose-reel jets to douse the flames after they searched the smoke-logged building to make sure no-one was trapped inside.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE

News & Star What's On search





Vote

Should the law be strengthened to tackle illegal traveller camps?

Yes. Authorities need to be better able to police this

No. The rights of travellers need to be respected

Not until more officially designated travellers' sites are opened

Show Result

Hot jobs
Scan for our iPhone and Android apps
Search for:
NEWS & STAR ON: