Strong smell led Cumbria police to £6,000 cannabis find
Last updated at 10:21, Sunday, 25 August 2013
A driver was caught with £6,000-worth of cannabis after police noticed a strong smell when they stopped his car on the M6, a court has heard.
The smell – which was noticeable as they approached his car on the hard shoulder of the motorway at Intack, near Southwaite – became even stronger when Jordan Thind opened the Volkswagen Polo’s boot.
Then the officers found the cannabis in a plastic tub hidden among the 23-year-old’s clothes.
At Carlisle Crown Court Thind, of Peel Park, Accrington, Lancashire, pleaded guilty to possessing the class B drug with intent to supply it.
Prosecutor Gerard Rogerson told the court that after his arrest Thind admitted everything, and said he had been hired as a courier to take the cannabis from Accrington to Dumfries.
“I can’t get a job,” he told them. “I need the money. I have got to pay my rent.”
Defence advocate David Williams told the court that Thind had been in “dire straits” after losing his job.
But the experience had been “a wake-up call” and Thind was now doing well after setting up his own accident repair business.
He was given a four-month prison sentence, suspended for a year, and put under a curfew every Friday, Saturday and Sunday night for the next four months.
He was also made to pay an £80 statutory surcharge.
First published at 10:13, Sunday, 25 August 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (19 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (18 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (6 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (8 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (10 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (15 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (46 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (12 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)