Strong smell led Cumbria police to £6,000 cannabis find
Last updated at 10:21, Sunday, 25 August 2013
A driver was caught with £6,000-worth of cannabis after police noticed a strong smell when they stopped his car on the M6, a court has heard.
The smell – which was noticeable as they approached his car on the hard shoulder of the motorway at Intack, near Southwaite – became even stronger when Jordan Thind opened the Volkswagen Polo’s boot.
Then the officers found the cannabis in a plastic tub hidden among the 23-year-old’s clothes.
At Carlisle Crown Court Thind, of Peel Park, Accrington, Lancashire, pleaded guilty to possessing the class B drug with intent to supply it.
Prosecutor Gerard Rogerson told the court that after his arrest Thind admitted everything, and said he had been hired as a courier to take the cannabis from Accrington to Dumfries.
“I can’t get a job,” he told them. “I need the money. I have got to pay my rent.”
Defence advocate David Williams told the court that Thind had been in “dire straits” after losing his job.
But the experience had been “a wake-up call” and Thind was now doing well after setting up his own accident repair business.
He was given a four-month prison sentence, suspended for a year, and put under a curfew every Friday, Saturday and Sunday night for the next four months.
He was also made to pay an £80 statutory surcharge.
First published at 10:13, Sunday, 25 August 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Police call handling shake-up could cut demand on officers (29 comments)
- Cumbrian council set to axe chief executive job (14 comments)
- Former Carlisle hotel one of England's most at risk buildings (21 comments)
- Thirty new Cumbrian entries in Camra's latest 'beer bible' (5 comments)
- Parents furious as children kept out of lessons for flouting uniform rules (85 comments)
- 'Rude' Cumbrian town name banned at national WI fair (43 comments)
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (39 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (138 comments)
Court & crime
- Carlisle man who had nearly two million child porn images on computer jailed
- Driver lost control and crashed through Carlisle charity shop window
- Carlisle man jailed for lying for cocaine trafficker dad
- Cumbrian man convicted of raid on Dartmouth gift shop
- Men who turned Cumbrian mansion into cannabis farm jailed for total of almost 40 years
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Cumbria police crackdown on drivers using mobile phones (6 comments)
- Ex-Lookaround newsreader begins life as woman she always wanted to be (16 comments)
- Reays brings back City Hopper service; pledges more room for buggies (34 comments)
- Parents will be fined if caught smoking in cars carrying children (21 comments)
- Tweet made Austin look a proper Charlie (1 comment)