Builder on verge of submitting plans for new 350 home estate
Last updated at 14:45, Monday, 21 October 2013
Developers are on the verge of submitting plans for a major housing project, which has already sparked outrage.
Story Homes wants to build up to 350 houses on land off Strawberry How in Cockermouth. The company has been gathering views from the public for the past few months before officially lodging a planning application with Allerdale council.
When the development was first revealed earlier this year, it infuriated residents who feared it would seriously damage their town.
Consultation has now come to an end and the Carlisle-based company is expected to submit its plans next month.
However, they are not expected to be in for an easy ride and hundreds of people have already made their feelings known at public meetings and warned that they will object to the scheme.
At a special meeting hundreds of people who planned to protest turned up.
Town mayor Isabel Burns, told Story Homes: “You will have a fight on your hands from the people in this town.
“There is already mayhem around that area and you are talking about over 600 extra cars.”
And the councillor for the All Saints ward, Alan Smith, said he had already been inundated with complaints. He said: “I have never known as many people contact me over one issue.
“We have houses accepted at the Fitz, Sullart Street and possibly Lorton Road, and this would add 900 to 1,000 extra homes which will have a big impact.”
It was also revealed earlier this month that the development would take up to 10 years to complete, with building carried out in stages over the next decade.
Sandra Manson, director of Signet Planning, which is Story Homes’ planning consultant, said the first phase of the scheme would see 90 units being built, including some affordable homes, with an extra 30 units built each year around the Tom Rudd Beck area.
“Phase two will see the rest of the homes built up to the Slatefell estate and this will take around seven years to build,” she added.
“It is really quite normal for a development of this size to take that long.”
The announcement that a planning application was to be submitted next week was made on the website set up by Signet Planning to inform people of its plans.
First published at 14:40, Monday, 21 October 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
The people of Cockermouth need to open their eyes. Cockermouth needs to grow, the surrounding villages are getting as big as Cockermouth. Cockermouth needs the money that these new houses would bring to the town, if it wasn't for the floods the Main Street would be looking as run down as Maryport Senhouse street. Stop thinking Cockermouth is the bees knees, it isn't, it's dying on it's feet. Bring these houses to Cockermouth to save the town
St.Bees is becoming overcrowded with houses also. It used to be a desirable place to live but the houses are 10 a penny now and flooding is becoming a problem. A lot of the houses that are going up there look totally out of character. Some say many more will be going in the lovely open space in the village.
View all 37 comments on this article