Starlings put on amazing flying display in skies over Carlisle's Botcherby
Last updated at 13:01, Wednesday, 26 January 2011
Botcherby in Carlisle may not be the first place you think of when it comes to bird watching but residents there are being treated to a spectacular nightly flying display by thousands of starlings.
For more than an hour last night, this huge starling flock – known as murmuration – filled the sky.
Many of the birds will have sought refuge in the UK from colder climates in places such as Russia and Scandinavia.
But few of the residents who gathered to watch their display last night had ever seen so many starlings in Botcherby.
“They’re beautiful, especially when they all fly together,” said Broadoaks Court resident Zreen Naveed, 25, watching the birds with son Hamza, eight.
He added: “It’s like every bird in the world has suddenly come to here. They’re like tiny jets when you see them from a distance.”
Neighbour Mary Miller, 65, said: “I’ve never seen that many birds all together before. I have to keep the bedroom window shut because they start singing at 4am.
“I think they’re a bit frightening, to be honest. At times, the sky can look black with them because there are so many flying overhead.”
Her husband Alex, 66, said: “Normally, they go over the Solway, but something must have happened this year.”
Further along the street, the Macrae family – Kirsty, 23, Scott, 23, and toddler son Kaiden – took time out to watch the murmuration.
Kirsty said: “They’ve come here this year for the first time. I get up for work at 4.30am and they’re out there, singing away. It’s a bit scary when it’s dark and they start flying over you.”
First published at 11:44, Wednesday, 26 January 2011
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (19 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (16 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (6 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (8 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (10 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (15 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (46 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (12 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)