X

Cookies

Continue We want you to get the most out of using this website, which is why we and our partners use cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to receive these cookies. You can find out more about how we use cookies here.

Tuesday, 02 September 2014

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Stabbed man was victim of concerted and gratuitous attack, Carlisle murder trial told

A Polish factory worker who died after being stabbed outside his own home was the victim of a “concerted, gratuitous attack”, a court was told.

Piotr Kulinski photo
Piotr Kulinski

Related: I wasn’t in a gang terrorising people, murder accused tells Carlisle court

One of the men charged with his murder was also accused of deliberately causing suffering to Piotr Kulinski in the stabbing at Arnside Road on Carlisle’s Harraby estate.

Mr Kulinski, who worked at the city’s Cavaghan & Gray factory and had a partner and child, lost his life on October 14 last year.

Piotr Zygner, 30, Paulina Mucha, 26, and Sylwester Kawalec, 23, all of Currock Road, Currock, Carlisle, deny murder.

Zygner, who is originally from Poland, has been giving evidence for a number of days during the trial through a translator.

The court previously heard Zygner say he owed money to Mr Kulinski and had decided he and his co-defendents, who had all been to a party, should visit Mr Kulinski’s Arnside Road home so he could give him some of the cash.

He claimed Mr Kulinski had moved to attack him. Zygner told the court he had picked up a knife that had fallen to the ground and stabbed Mr Kulinski as he attacked his friend, Kawalec. Zygner said he only wanted Mr Kulinski to leave Kawalec alone.

But Brian Cummings QC, prosecuting, said: “I suggest that this was a concerted, gratuitous attack by you with that knife.

“What you were doing was quite deliberately causing suffering with the knife – not just death.”

Zygner replied: “I wasn’t going to do anything wrong to him.”

Mr Cummings suggested that Zygner, Kawalec and Mucha “knew exactly what was going to happen at Arnside Road”.

Zygner said: “To this day I keep thinking about how it all happened.

“It was my idiotic idea to go there and give him the money.”

Mr Cummings asked him if it was correct that Mr Kulinski had his “hands up in an appeasing gesture, with you and Kawalec advancing on him”. Zygner denied this.

Zygner and Kawalec have also pleaded not guilty to conspiring to pervert the course of justice. Mucha has admitted this.

Artur Woszczyna, 44, of Beverley Rise, Harraby, Carlisle, and Artur Skoczen, 30, of Ashman Close, Denton Holme, Carlisle, are also on trial, accused of conspiring to pervert the course of justice.

They both deny the charge.

The trial continues.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE

News & Star What's On search





Vote

Who should be Carlisle Utd's new manager?

Darren Edmondson

Paul Thirlwell

Tony Caig

Steve Harper

Neil McDonald

Paul Simpson

Paul Murray

Willie McStay

Steve Thompson

Dave Hockaday

Paul Cox

Sean O'Driscoll

Mark Robins

Kevin Blackwell

Robbie Fowler

Other (say below)

Show Result

Hot jobs
Scan for our iPhone and Android apps
Search for:
NEWS & STAR ON: