Speed limits could be changed on roads across Allerdale
Last updated at 11:38, Friday, 16 May 2014
Speed limits could be set to change more than 10 different roads in Allerdale.
Plans were given the green light by members of Cumbria County Council’s local committee for the district.
The proposals, which will now go out for public consultation, would see the speed limit increase on eight stretches of road.
This includes two parts of the A596 – at Northside, Workington, and on the stretch from Flimby to Maryport – where the limit will rise to 40mph from 30mph. Other places where the speed limit will rise in the same way include the A5086 at Gote Brow, Cockermouth and the B5302 at Waverbridge.
The B5322 at St John’s in the Vale, Keswick, and the B5289 between Keswick and Seatoller will have a 60mph limit, an increase from the current 40mph.
Five stretches of road will see their speed limits cut.
These include the area between Dearham and Harker Marsh – which will change from a 60mph zone to one with 30mph and 40mph restrictions – and at High Seaton, Workington, which will also become a 40mph zone.
A temporary 40mph restriction at Syke Road in Wigton has also become permanent.
At Prospect, 30mph and 40mph zones will replace the current 60mph zone.
Kevin Cosgrove, a traffic management engineer with the county council, said officers had been working on an “extensive” report.
“We have 80 sites in Allerdale, including A and B roads,” he said.
Councillor Alan Clark, who represents Dearham and Broughton for Labour, said: “To be honest, sitting in these meetings, you realise there is no perfect answer to traffic problems, there are just too many cars on the road and we are all to blame.”
He added: “We are always doing the best of a bad job.”
The proposals were passed with a unanimous vote
First published at 11:28, Friday, 16 May 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (38 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (29 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (7 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (13 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (13 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (16 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (48 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (46 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (13 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (57 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)