Son stole dad’s money and took mum’s car, Carlisle court told
Last updated at 12:40, Tuesday, 23 October 2012
A man stole £800 from his father and took his mother’s car so he and his girlfriend could start a new life away from Carlisle, a court heard.
Edward Heatley, 25, of Borland Avenue, Botcherby, admitted aggravated vehicle taking, dangerous driving, theft and driving without insurance or an appropriate licence.
Pam Ward, prosecuting, told Carlisle magistrates how Heatley was staying with his parents when on October 18 he took £800 from his father’s bedside cabinet.
He then asked his mother for the keys to her Fiat Punto as he had left something in the car. However, the court was told, he and his girlfriend drove off in the car to “start a new life down south”.
They got as far as Chorley in Lancashire before police tried to stop the vehicle.
Mrs Ward told the court that Heatley panicked when he saw the police car in his mirror and led the officers on a five-minute chase with him driving at times on the wrong side of the road.
Police eventually found the car parked up and he was arrested.
Geoff Clapp, defending, told the court that Heatley took the car on the “spur of the moment” because he wanted to start a new life away from Carlisle.
Mr Clapp said Heatley was “remorseful” and that his parents had accepted an apology.
“It was an impetuous and stupid decision,” said Mr Clapp.
Heatley was banned from driving for one year and given a community order for one year. He was also ordered to do 100 hours unpaid work.
First published at 12:25, Tuesday, 23 October 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- 'Deserters' leaving Carlisle to shop in Glasgow are harming city (23 comments)
- Cumbrian pub gets go-ahead for longer opening hours (15 comments)
- Ex-Cumbrian health chief says working across Border 'a breath of fresh air' (5 comments)
- Bus cuts across Cumbria loom in bid to save £1.3m (38 comments)
- Hospitals smoking ban goes too far, says Carlisle councillor (73 comments)
- Allerdale set to back Government proposal to sideline county council in nuclear store search (55 comments)
- Cumbrian beauty queen overcomes cruel internet bullies (10 comments)
- Carlisle dad fined for cycling with daughter on shoulders (45 comments)
- Major police operation in Carlisle area blighted by criminals (13 comments)
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|