Son helped his mother to grow cannabis, Carlisle court told
Last updated at 13:10, Tuesday, 12 June 2012
A man who helped his mother to grow cannabis has been given a conditional discharge for two years.
Brett Carruthers, 31, of Pica Cottages, near Workington, was charged with production of cannabis and possession.
Judge Peter Hughes QC, sitting at Carlisle Crown Court, told Carruthers: “This is the second time you have been prosecuted for producing cannabis.
“On the last occasion, I’m told, you were doing it only for your own use.
“This time you were instrumental in enabling your mother to grow cannabis.”
The judge added that he understood that Carruthers’ mother had received a caution and was of previously good character.
Judge Hughes ruled out a curfew because of the health of Carruthers’ partner and because he has a seven-year-old daughter.
He added: “As long as you stay out of trouble you will never be sentenced.”
If not he, Carruthers was told he would “almost certainly lose his liberty”.
First published at 11:29, Tuesday, 12 June 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (19 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (16 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (6 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (8 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (10 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (15 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (46 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (12 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)