Soldier had holdall ‘full of guns’ at Carlisle rail station
Last updated at 14:08, Thursday, 15 November 2012
A soldier caught with a holdall full of guns after he got off a train at Carlisle station has been warned he faces an inevitable prison sentence.
William Dempsey, 28, who is based in Canterbury with the 5th Battalion Royal Regiment of Scotland, was arrested wearing combat uniform near the station on Friday, August 21.
At Carlisle Crown Court he pleaded guilty to seven firearms offences – unlawfully possessing a double-barrel shotgun, an Uzi sub-machine gun and a pistol, having the Uzi and handgun in a public place, and possessing the ammunition for the pistol and a silencer for the sub-machine gun.
Dempsey, a soldier for 12 years, was remanded in custody until December 18 to allow the prosecution time to study the basis of his guilty plea.
In the meantime, the probation service will prepare a pre-sentence report, to accompany a psychiatric report which has already been completed.
The judge, the Hon Mr Justice Singh, said that under provisions for a statutory minimum five-year sentence for all firearms offences, a jail sentence would be inevitable.
First published at 13:49, Thursday, 15 November 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Double blow as historic Carlisle pub and club close (5 comments)
- Cheapest fuel prices in Cumbria revealed (5 comments)
- Carlisle bouncers could get body-mounted cameras (10 comments)
- United Utilities outlines reasons for seven-mile Lake District fence (4 comments)
- NMP to be stripped of Sellafield contract - claims (23 comments)
- Carlisle Utd co-owner: fans threatened me with violence (11 comments)
- Tesco drops plans to build new superstore in Carlisle (37 comments)
- Crime less than fifth of all calls to Cumbria police (1 comment)
- New Ofsted report heaps more praise on Cumbrian school (13 comments)
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Fans petition Carlisle Utd owners to sell club (109 comments)
- Dog fouling crackdown gets under way in Carlisle (72 comments)
- MD Nixon: Last week was my blackest time at Carlisle Utd (45 comments)
- Labour’s all-female shortlist for Workington is boost for women - claim (42 comments)
- Grieving man’s call to ban dogs from Carlisle Cemetery (47 comments)