Soldier had holdall ‘full of guns’ at Carlisle rail station
Last updated at 14:08, Thursday, 15 November 2012
A soldier caught with a holdall full of guns after he got off a train at Carlisle station has been warned he faces an inevitable prison sentence.
William Dempsey, 28, who is based in Canterbury with the 5th Battalion Royal Regiment of Scotland, was arrested wearing combat uniform near the station on Friday, August 21.
At Carlisle Crown Court he pleaded guilty to seven firearms offences – unlawfully possessing a double-barrel shotgun, an Uzi sub-machine gun and a pistol, having the Uzi and handgun in a public place, and possessing the ammunition for the pistol and a silencer for the sub-machine gun.
Dempsey, a soldier for 12 years, was remanded in custody until December 18 to allow the prosecution time to study the basis of his guilty plea.
In the meantime, the probation service will prepare a pre-sentence report, to accompany a psychiatric report which has already been completed.
The judge, the Hon Mr Justice Singh, said that under provisions for a statutory minimum five-year sentence for all firearms offences, a jail sentence would be inevitable.
First published at 13:49, Thursday, 15 November 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Police call handling shake-up could cut demand on officers (29 comments)
- Cumbrian council set to axe chief executive job (14 comments)
- Former Carlisle hotel one of England's most at risk buildings (21 comments)
- Thirty new Cumbrian entries in Camra's latest 'beer bible' (5 comments)
- Parents furious as children kept out of lessons for flouting uniform rules (85 comments)
- 'Rude' Cumbrian town name banned at national WI fair (43 comments)
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (39 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (138 comments)
Court & crime
- Carlisle man who had nearly two million child porn images on computer jailed
- Driver lost control and crashed through Carlisle charity shop window
- Carlisle man jailed for lying for cocaine trafficker dad
- Cumbrian man convicted of raid on Dartmouth gift shop
- Men who turned Cumbrian mansion into cannabis farm jailed for total of almost 40 years
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Cumbria police crackdown on drivers using mobile phones (6 comments)
- Ex-Lookaround newsreader begins life as woman she always wanted to be (16 comments)
- Reays brings back City Hopper service; pledges more room for buggies (34 comments)
- Parents will be fined if caught smoking in cars carrying children (21 comments)
- Tweet made Austin look a proper Charlie (1 comment)