Six fire crews fighting grass blaze in west Cumbria
Published at 16:32, Wednesday, 10 April 2013
Fire crews are tackling a blaze that stretches over an area about one kilometre in length.
Engines from Whitehaven, Frizington, Millom, Workington, Maryport and Cockermouth are at the scene - woods near Cobblehall, Cleator Moor.
Cumbria fire service says there are numerous seats of fire in an area about one kilometre long and 200 metres wide.
The area is grass and gorse.
Firefighters are using to beaters to try and extinguish the blaze.
- A crew put out a blaze that affected 100 metres of hedgerow at Ellerbeck Lane, Workington, this afternoon. They were called at about 1.50pm and left the scene shortly after 3pm.
- An engine from Keswick and one from Cockermouth were called to a grass fire at Uldale at about 2.25pm today. It was out on arrival but the area had to be damped down.
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Police call handling shake-up could cut demand on officers (29 comments)
- Cumbrian council set to axe chief executive job (14 comments)
- Former Carlisle hotel one of England's most at risk buildings (21 comments)
- Thirty new Cumbrian entries in Camra's latest 'beer bible' (5 comments)
- Parents furious as children kept out of lessons for flouting uniform rules (85 comments)
- 'Rude' Cumbrian town name banned at national WI fair (43 comments)
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (39 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (138 comments)
Court & crime
- Carlisle man who had nearly two million child porn images on computer jailed
- Driver lost control and crashed through Carlisle charity shop window
- Carlisle man jailed for lying for cocaine trafficker dad
- Cumbrian man convicted of raid on Dartmouth gift shop
- Men who turned Cumbrian mansion into cannabis farm jailed for total of almost 40 years
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Cumbria police crackdown on drivers using mobile phones (6 comments)
- Ex-Lookaround newsreader begins life as woman she always wanted to be (16 comments)
- Reays brings back City Hopper service; pledges more room for buggies (34 comments)
- Parents will be fined if caught smoking in cars carrying children (21 comments)
- Tweet made Austin look a proper Charlie (1 comment)