X

Cookies

Continue We want you to get the most out of using this website, which is why we and our partners use cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to receive these cookies. You can find out more about how we use cookies here.

Wednesday, 01 October 2014

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Six bailed by police investigating attack on Cumbria club boss

Six people arrested over a street attack that left a nightclub boss critically ill have been bailed while the police investigation continues

Officers said Tim Ip, a manager at Concrete in Carlisle city centre, remained in a serious but stable condition today.

Mr Ip, 26, was with a friend when they were attacked not far from the club in the early hours of yesterday.

He was taken to the Cumberland Infirmary in Carlisle with serious head injuries and later transferred to the Royal
Victoria Infirmary in Newcastle. His friend was not badly hurt.

Mr Ip’s family have been at his bedside. Staff from Concrete also travelled to Newcastle to be with Mr Ip.

People at businesses near to the scene of the attack expressed their shock while others on social networking sites sent their best wishes to Mr Ip and spoke of their disgust at his ordeal.

He was described as being a familiar face in the city and on its nightlife scene.

Police said they believed there had been an altercation between Mr Ip and another man close to Lowther Arcade and in the
Outrageous nightspot, both in the city centre. Mr Ip and a friend were attacked in or around Lowther Street and Lowther Arcade at 2.10am.

A 19-year-old man from Carlisle and two men aged 26 and 30, from Southampton, were arrested on suspicion of assault and causing grievous bodily harm.

Two men, aged 42 and 30, from Carlisle, and a woman, 28, from Southampton, were arrested on suspicion of causing grievous bodily harm.
A police spokeswoman said: “They have been released on police bail until July 23 while inquiries
continue.”

A police cordon was in place on Lowther Street, between Devonshire Street and The Crescent, yesterday.
The English Street side of the Lowther Arcade was also cordoned off.

Crime scene investigators wearing blue and white overalls could be seen carrying out forensic examinations of the scene.
Claire Bell, a hairdresser at Boo Hair, which is near to where the attack happened, said: “He [Mr Ip] used to go to school with my brother. He is quiet and keeps himself to himself.”

Her boss, salon owner Kathryn Stuttard, added: “I’m shocked. It makes me concerned.”

Kevin Melvin, general manager of nearby Outrageous, said he was not on shift at the time of the attack but received a phone call in the early hours from the assistant manager telling him what had happened.

He said: “It is particularly shocking in this industry when you work to provide a good time.”

Mike Hope, owner of Bocata bar and deli at the Lowther Street end of the arcade, returned to work to find his window smashed.
It is understood the damage was caused when the victim was thrown against it.

The force spokeswoman added: “Detectives are still appealing for anyone who witnessed the assault or anyone with information about the circumstances leading up to the incident to contact Carlisle CID on 101.”

SHARE THIS ARTICLE

News & Star What's On search





Vote

Marked differences in fuel prices across north and west Cumbria - does it matter?

It does matter. There's unfair advantage

For the sake of a penny or two per litre? No

Why worry. Up one week, down the next - all drivers are losers in the end

Show Result

Hot jobs
Scan for our iPhone and Android apps
Search for:
NEWS & STAR ON: