Six arrested in armed police swoop on Carlisle hotel bailed
Last updated at 11:52, Monday, 26 November 2012
Six people arrested by armed police searching for an illegal weapon have been released on bail.
More than 20 officers, including a specialist firearms unit, swooped on the Ibis Hotel in Botchergate, Carlisle, at 4.15am on Saturday.
They were responding to a report from a passer by who had seen two men, one armed with a handgun, leave a nearby bar and enter the hotel.
Five men and a woman were arrested on suspicion of possession of an illegal firearm.
Four are from Middlesbrough and two from Carlisle.
They have been questioned and released on police bail until January 7.
Officers cordoned off the hotel and brought in sniffer dogs to search for the weapon, which has not been found.
Seven police vehicles, mainly vans, lined the road outside the cinema opposite.
Firefighters also attended to help police search the hotel roof.
Ibis manager Miguel Mendes was called in but said the police had not told him what they were doing.
A force spokesman said: “Police would like to thank the public for approaching them so that this was dealt with swiftly and safely.”
First published at 11:50, Monday, 26 November 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Dozens of operations cancelled at Carlisle hospital (25 comments)
- Huge potholes making Cumbrian residents' lives a misery (18 comments)
- Cumbria police must have redesign to survive (12 comments)
- Carlisle shop for sale with warning not to tell staff (21 comments)
- Wealthy peer funds Labour to help unseat Tories in Carlisle (46 comments)
- Cumbrian postcode with fewest burglaries revealed (7 comments)
- Dog suffers horrific injuries in attack on Carlisle street (23 comments)
- Cumbria crime panel backs council tax increase plan (15 comments)
- Double blow as historic Carlisle pub and club close (14 comments)
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|