Seven years for man found carrying quarter ounce of heroin
Published at 14:25, Thursday, 14 February 2013
A man found carrying just over a quarter of an ounce of heroin has been jailed for seven years.
Steven Leon Dala, aged 46, was found with the illegal drug during a police search of the house he was living in at Maryport. The 7.7 grams had a street value of £770.
Dala, originally from Liverpool, was found guilty at Carlisle Crown Court of possession with intent to supply.
The court was told police searched the house on January 25 last year after receiving a tip-off.
DC Andrew Myers, who led the investigation, said they were "really pleased" with the sentence.
And he added: "We have to give thanks to the community because it was the information that they supplied which enabled us to obtain a warrant and search the property.
“This case highlights the importance of receiving information from local people, they know what is happening in their community and can identify anything that is out of the ordinary or suspicious.
“We will continue to tackle the issue of drugs in our local communities and the sentence imposed on Dala highlights how drugs are not tolerated by the community, the police or the courts.”
Anyone with information or concerns about drug use should call police on 101.
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Police call handling shake-up could cut demand on officers (29 comments)
- Cumbrian council set to axe chief executive job (14 comments)
- Former Carlisle hotel one of England's most at risk buildings (21 comments)
- Thirty new Cumbrian entries in Camra's latest 'beer bible' (5 comments)
- Parents furious as children kept out of lessons for flouting uniform rules (85 comments)
- 'Rude' Cumbrian town name banned at national WI fair (43 comments)
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (39 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (138 comments)
Court & crime
- Carlisle man who had nearly two million child porn images on computer jailed
- Driver lost control and crashed through Carlisle charity shop window
- Carlisle man jailed for lying for cocaine trafficker dad
- Cumbrian man convicted of raid on Dartmouth gift shop
- Men who turned Cumbrian mansion into cannabis farm jailed for total of almost 40 years
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Cumbria police crackdown on drivers using mobile phones (6 comments)
- Ex-Lookaround newsreader begins life as woman she always wanted to be (16 comments)
- Reays brings back City Hopper service; pledges more room for buggies (34 comments)
- Parents will be fined if caught smoking in cars carrying children (21 comments)
- Tweet made Austin look a proper Charlie (1 comment)