Seal pup found 40 miles inland in Cumbria
Published at 11:36, Monday, 13 January 2014
A seal pup has been released into the sea after being found 40 miles inland.
The youngster was found washed up at Appleby yesterday – triggering an operation to ensure its welfare.
Members of the Flookburgh-based Bay Search and Rescue (BSR) were called upon to use their specialist skills.
The team’s British Divers and Marine Life Rescue trained medics retrieved the animal and took it back to their station where it was weighed and confirmed as heavy enough to be returned to the sea.
Mike Davis, training officer at BSR, said: “What it’s doing being washed up 40 miles from the sea I have no idea.
“He’s a tiny fella but he’s heavy enough to be released.”
The seal was transported to Walney in south Cumbria last night and released into the Irish Sea off the south end of the island at about 8.30pm.
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Row erupts in Carlisle over £80 fines for not using gullsacks (23 comments)
- Cumbrian bride wins wedding dress battle after death of fiance (17 comments)
- Grey squirrel cull plan in Cumbria (16 comments)
- Drop in pupils offered first choice secondary places in Cumbria (5 comments)
- Barriers going up to keep travellers off Carlisle park (4 comments)
- Carlisle bucks national shopping trend (8 comments)
- Cumbrian MP: We need second jobs (75 comments)
- Cumbrian brothers plan to swim the River Eden (7 comments)
- Carlisle on course to set bizarre club record (2 comments)
- Carlisle barber retiring after 54 years (9 comments)
- Housebuilder reveals plans for hundreds of new homes (39 comments)
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Broker's backing a big rise for Stobart shares
- Cumbrian consultants in running for award
- Aldi plans to expand Carlisle store
- Stobart: Carlisle Airport redevelopment finished by September
- Cumbrian chef launches food and cookery channel
- Barrow lettings firm aims to spread the word
- Africa expansion drives up Barrow shipping firm’s profits
- Sixth formers all fired up for dream places at work
- Gearing up for a Barrow showcase of next generation of jobs
- Software company’s digital marketplace role
- Major route remains closed after biker crash
- Man quizzed after baby spat at in Carlisle
- Man hurt in Cumbrian crash
- Barrow community heroes to follow in footsteps of 2014 winners
- Colourful characters mark World Book Day in South Cumbria
- Sounds like teen spirit was key to orchestra’s success
- Police probe spate of rural burglaries
- Seville oranges mistake bears fruit for Cumbrian woman
- Villagers want to take on closure-threatened shop
- Fines over dog fouling and litter in Carlisle clean-up campaign