Santas on the run deliver cash boost for Cumbrian children's hospice
Last updated at 12:33, Monday, 03 December 2012
Around 170 Santa Clauses came to town as fundraisers dressed up as Father Christmas in a festive dash for charity.
Adults, children and even dogs braved the cold and ice and donned Santa’s iconic red and white suit to run around Carlisle city centre on a frosty winter morning.
The ‘Santas on the Run’ event is held to raise money for Eden House Children’s Hospice, which is part of Eden Valley Hospice.
All those taking part gathered in the grounds of Carlisle Castle and warmed themselves up ahead of a 3 kilometre run that took in places including Bitts Park and Castle Street.
Katrina Sander, fundraising manager for community and events at Eden Valley Hospice, said of the Santas: “I think they are absolutely fantastic.
“They are very brave on an icy Sunday morning when they’d perhaps rather be tucked up in the warm.
“Event like this are really important. We couldn’t do without the community raising money for us.”
Lyn Horsfield was among a group of school workers and friends including staff from Upperby Primary School and James Rennie School in Carlisle.
She said: “I’ve got plenty of layers on under this suit. We’re doing this to raise some money for a good cause and it’s a bit of fun as well.”
Those taking part received a medal at the finishing line at Carlisle Castle, and there were prizes for children. There was also mulled wine and mince pies for those who fancied a festive treat to warm up.
First published at 12:26, Monday, 03 December 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Police call handling shake-up could cut demand on officers (29 comments)
- Cumbrian council set to axe chief executive job (14 comments)
- Former Carlisle hotel one of England's most at risk buildings (21 comments)
- Thirty new Cumbrian entries in Camra's latest 'beer bible' (5 comments)
- Parents furious as children kept out of lessons for flouting uniform rules (85 comments)
- 'Rude' Cumbrian town name banned at national WI fair (43 comments)
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (39 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (138 comments)
Court & crime
- Carlisle man who had nearly two million child porn images on computer jailed
- Driver lost control and crashed through Carlisle charity shop window
- Carlisle man jailed for lying for cocaine trafficker dad
- Cumbrian man convicted of raid on Dartmouth gift shop
- Men who turned Cumbrian mansion into cannabis farm jailed for total of almost 40 years
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Cumbria police crackdown on drivers using mobile phones (6 comments)
- Ex-Lookaround newsreader begins life as woman she always wanted to be (16 comments)
- Reays brings back City Hopper service; pledges more room for buggies (34 comments)
- Parents will be fined if caught smoking in cars carrying children (21 comments)
- Tweet made Austin look a proper Charlie (1 comment)