Man who attacked woman and her dad with nunchucks spared prison
Last updated at 11:55, Monday, 18 August 2014
A man who assaulted a mother and her father with a traditional Japanese weapon – leaving a baby girl traumatised – has been spared jail.
Rolland Caceres, 43, pulled out a pair of nunchucks after an argument with the man and woman outside her home.
Carlisle Crown Court heard how on June 17 last year, the woman left her house in Maryport with her father and her five-month-old child, and were immediately engaged in an argument with Caceres, who lived in Maryport at the time of the incident.
After the argument, Caceres, now of Jollybeard Gate in Alston, “dropped into a fighting stance and produced a pair of nunchucks” before assaulting the pair.
David Farley, prosecuting, said: “He produced them from a pocket and began to swing them around.”
The woman was first struck on the hand and then a second blow hit her on the head, causing a lump. The man was then struck on the body and to the back of the head which caused “a lot of bleeding” and resulted in a 2cm curved wound that needed three stitches.
As Caceres was swinging the weapon it was also thought he hit the pram but no injury was caused to the child.
Mr Farley read out a statement from the man who had been attacked.
In it he said that the attack had left him nervous in public and had affected his confidence.
It also revealed how he had now left his job as a lorry driver, partially because he could not wear a hard hat for some weeks after the attack.
The court also heard a statement from the mother injured in the attack by Caceres, read out by Mr Farley.
“As a result of the attack I think about it every day. I struggle to think he had a weapon and attacked me when I was with my baby. She has nightmares about the incident and she has panic attacks.”
Caceres was sentenced to six months in prison, suspended for two years. He will also be placed under a supervision order for 12 months and will have to adhere to a 12-week curfew.
Sentencing, Recorder John Corless said: “This was an alarming and upsetting occasion that has caused much distress. This was undoubtedly an unpleasant attack.”
Caceres will also have to pay a victim surcharge of £80.
First published at 11:45, Monday, 18 August 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (20 comments)
- Cumbria police to use drones to help tackle crime (21 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (114 comments)
- Widow's anguish as thieves target Pc Bill Barker's grave (6 comments)
- Farmfoods given consent for supermarket at Carlisle's Shaddongate (31 comments)
- West House loses cafe contract at hospital (18 comments)
- Council hands out £3,000 in parking fines in one street in four months (44 comments)
- Cumbria Pride crisis as Carlisle LGBT centre to close (57 comments)