Road closure as giant beams installed for new Cumbria bridge
Published at 16:22, Thursday, 23 February 2012
Workington's Northside Road is to close from 10pm tomorrow so that beams can be lifted into place for the town’s new bridge.
The A596, between Northside roundabout and the temporary road bridge, will close until 6am on Monday. The temporary bridge will remain open.
It will enable a crane to lift beams that will form the northern side of the new River Derwent crossing.
The crane is expected to spend most of the weekend lifting eight components into place.
The beams for the southern side of the bridge will arrive later, when a road closure will not be required.
It is hoped that the bridge will be open by the summer.
Stuart MacFarlane, project manager for contractor Birse Civils, said: “Putting the beams in place will mean that you will be able to physically see the bridge going over the river.
“There is still a lot of work to do but we hope traffic will be able to cross the new bridge by August.”
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (22 comments)
- Cumbria police to use drones to help tackle crime (21 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (118 comments)
- Widow's anguish as thieves target Pc Bill Barker's grave (7 comments)
- Farmfoods given consent for supermarket at Carlisle's Shaddongate (31 comments)
- West House loses cafe contract at hospital (19 comments)
- Council hands out £3,000 in parking fines in one street in four months (44 comments)
- Cumbria Pride crisis as Carlisle LGBT centre to close (58 comments)