Restaurant boss charged with running brothel from Carlisle takeaway
Published at 18:36, Tuesday, 04 October 2011
A Carlisle restaurant boss has appeared in court accused of running a brothel from the takeaway he manages on Botchergate.
Azad Miah, 44, is also accused of paying young girls for sex.
Miah, who is manager of the Spice of India takeaway, appeared at Carlisle Magistrates’ Court today charged with 13 offences.
- one charge of keeping or managing a brothel at the Spice of India takeaway;
- six charges of causing or inciting prostitution for gain;
- two charges of causing a girl under 13 to engage in sexual activity;
- three charges of causing or inciting a girl to perform sexual acts;
- one charge of paying for the sexual services of a girl aged 13 to 15.
The offences are said to have taken place between 2005 and March this year.
Miah, who used to live in the city centre, was arrested by police on Monday and charged.
An application for bail was refused by magistrates.
Miah was remanded in custody and will next appear at Carlisle Crown Court on December 19.
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Historic Carlisle pub closing for major revamp (3 comments)
- Cumbria council's new HQ: How it could look (42 comments)
- Senior Cumbrian councillor’s warning over Rotherham abuse scandal (14 comments)
- Police ask for takeaway 'bouncers' to help curb late night disorder (16 comments)
- Three Cumbrian areas named in top 10 best places to live in England (30 comments)
- Derelict former hotel in Carlisle has no owner (43 comments)
- Carlisle council gives go-ahead to city airport overhaul (124 comments)
- Lovell gets go-ahead to build 217 new homes in west Cumbria (14 comments)
- Cumbrian man tells why he has right to be forgotten on Google (16 comments)
- 64 jobs at risk as factory bosses warn of possible closure (15 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (10 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (1 comment)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|