Renewed call for crossing after Cumbrian girl in accident
Last updated at 10:08, Friday, 07 March 2014
A new fight has started calling for a pedestrian crossing on a danger road where two collisions – one involving a 12-year-old girl – occurred in the space of a few hours.
The girl was involved in an accident with a car on the A595 Loop Road in Whitehaven on Tuesday morning and just nine hours later the road was again blocked following an accident between two vehicles at the same junction near the Pelican garage.
Neither incident resulted in serious injuries, but those living near the scene fear it won’t be long until somebody is killed.
Siobhan Gearing, of Parton, has today re-launched a petition calling for a safe crossing on the road, which she submitted to the county council a year ago.
The mum-of-one said: “Whenever I cross that road with my husband and daughter, the cars are flying past.
“It’s the road layout that is the problem. From one direction you can’t see what’s coming from the other direction. You take your chance to walk out on that road.”
Mrs Gearing insists that a crossing is the only suitable option, adding: “That road is so dangerous. Is it going to have to take a death for something to happen?”
Beckie Thompson, who lives on the main road at Parton, said that she has given up complaining about the “stupid road.” “I’ve lived near there for years and there’s no end to the number of times I’ve nearly been run over because there is no safe way to cross,” said the 21-year-old.
And Cheryl Jeffery, of Red Lonning, said it is also dangerous for drivers.
“Cars coming out of the junction by the Pelican are dicing with death as the road is extremely busy,” she added.
Mrs Gearing will post details of the online petition through the Facebook page Safer Crossing on Parton Long Mile and Pelican/ Spar Garage Loop Road.
She is also calling for people to contact her with details of any accidents on the road over the past 10 years.
A county council spokeswoman said the stretch of road is the responsibility of the Highways Agency, which meant that the first petition Mrs Gearing sent in last year was not lodged with the appropriate authority.
Nobody from the Highways Agency was available to comment this morning.
First published at 10:03, Friday, 07 March 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Government backs plan to divert traffic away from Warwick Bridge (26 comments)
- A595 is Cumbria's most dangerous road, police figures show (29 comments)
- Calls for action on future of derelict Carlisle hotel (38 comments)
- Improving A66 and A69 road 'very tricky and complex' says highways boss (48 comments)
- Dogs banned from some parks and spaces in Cumbria (62 comments)
- Hundreds offer to quit Cumbria County Council (50 comments)
- Parking ban on staff at Carlisle's Cumberland Infirmary (116 comments)
- National Grid reveals route for new power lines network (36 comments)
- New council base could bring hundreds of jobs to Workington (17 comments)
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|