Last updated at 12:10, Thursday, 27 December 2012
The annual quiz at Carlisle’s Sands Centre takes place on Sunday, January 20 – with hundreds expected to enter.
It will be quizmaster Geoff Haugh’s 20th year in charge of the mammoth quiz which has been running since the Sands first opened 26 years ago.
Geoff collates questions throughout the year when he sees things that catch his eye.
The quiz is usually made up of film, TV and sport questions as well as trivia and the popular I’ll Have A Pee Please Bob round.
Geoff said: “It will be the same formula. My philosophy is if it works why change it and it works well.”
This year, the winners of the very first Sands Centre quiz claimed victory again.
Alan Elliot and Ian McEwan were part of the team which won the quiz 26 years ago.
Along with Alan’s son Matt and his girlfriend Louise Brown, the team called Blue Yonder White Elephant scored 236 points out of a possible 275.
There were 544 contestants in 136 teams – a record attendance – battling through eight rounds in this year’s quiz.
Second place went to The Fat Flyers Fantastic Four and third place went to former champions, the Burnside Raiders from Dalbeattie.
Geoff said: “It will be another evening of fun, entertainment, memory recall and general knowledge. There are no individual embarrassing questions. There will be music and picture questions and the bar will be open throughout.”
The event costs £23 for teams of four and closing date for entries is January 16. Entry forms and the £23 fee should be sent to Team Quiz, The Sands Centre, Carlisle, CA1 1JQ.
Cheques or postal orders should be made payable to Carlisle Leisure Limited.
The quiz starts at 7pm.
First published at 12:06, Thursday, 27 December 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (19 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (18 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (6 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (8 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (10 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (15 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (46 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (12 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)