Prolific shoplifters facing Carlisle stores ban
Last updated at 08:20, Tuesday, 25 February 2014
Police say more action against thieves could follow after one of Carlisle’s worst shoplifters became the first to receive a blanket ban from all stores in the city centre.
Legal action is being considered for other prolific crooks following moves taken against Martyn Corrie, 23.
Corrie, who has lived at Rydal Street, off Botchergate, was banned from stores in the heart of the city as well as a number of other shops outside a designated zone.
The ban followed magistrates imposing an antisocial behaviour order (Asbo) to combat his persistent stealing.
Police said Corrie had the order slapped on him by Carlisle Magistrates’ Court following his “blatant disregard” of warnings from officers and shops.
The Asbo is part of a string of measures to tackle shoplifting in the city which has seen the number of these types of crimes plummet.
Officers have warned further action could be taken against other similar crooks.
PC Kath Paterson said: “This Asbo is the first of its kind to be sought in Carlisle and there are more in the pipeline. Positive action will be taken against prolific offenders.”
Police say Corrie was spoken to while in custody having been arrested on suspicion of shoplifting in January.
They said he had a string of previous convictions for theft and had been identified as “one of the worst shoplifters” in the city.
Corrie was told certain stores had banned him and that if he continued to steal police would look at options including an Asbo.
He also signed an acceptable behaviour contract, saying he would “not be found on any shop premises for any other reason than to purchase goods”.
The next day, police said, Corrie was arrested on suspicion of theft of goods from a city centre shop. A letter was sent to Corrie with a reminder of the action police would take if he did not stop.
On January 19 Corrie was arrested for three further alleged shoplifting offences. Police say they had “no other option” than to apply for the Asbo.
Inspector Andy Hanson said: “The retailers have been very positive and have worked very effectively with us to actively target prolific individuals.
“We will continue to work to tackle offending that adds a hidden cost to each and everyone’s purchases.”
First published at 08:18, Tuesday, 25 February 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Carlisle Utd in further talks with "billionaire"
- Lake District's World Heritage status bid moves forward (5 comments)
- Thousands backing campaign to make Cumbria Scottish (133 comments)
- St Bees School set to reopen next year (45 comments)
- Two new housing schemes tabled for Carlisle (17 comments)
- Stagecoach making changes to bus routes across Carlisle (34 comments)
- Cumbria's children's service still failing (42 comments)
- Conservative Stevenson retains Carlisle (104 comments)
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|