Premier League champions Man Utd sign former Carlisle schoolboy
Published at 12:06, Wednesday, 01 May 2013
A Carlisle-born schoolboy is hoping to shoot to stardom after being signed by Premier League giants Manchester United.
Former Cumwhinton School pupil, eight-year-old Owen Hampson, was spotted by Manchester United scouts while training at the team’s centres of excellence at Preston and Blackpool. He has been given an initial two-year contract at the prestigious Manchester United Academy at the team’s Carrington training ground.
Owen started his budding football career at Cotehill and Cumwhinton Crusaders aged just four. He is hoping to follow in the footsteps of stars such as Wayne Rooney and Tom Cleverly in the United team one day.
Mum Katrina said: “Owen has done really well, obviously. Me and his dad Andrew are extremely proud. He has got a lot of hard work in front of him.
“He is obviously very proud but he doesn’t support Man Utd, he’s a Liverpool fan. But he is at the best academy and is hugely excited.
“He has got every chance of succeeding. His manager said some will play for the first team and some will play internationally but its hard work that got them there.”
Owen used to live at Carleton Grange in Carlisle but moved with his family to Poulton-le-Fylde near Blackpool.
Owen, who is one of four brothers, will have plenty of support from his home city as his aunty Karen Wilson, plus grandparents Dianne and Keith Hampson will be cheering him on.
Manchester United’s academy operates on an invitation only basis meaning you cannot be referred or have a trial for them.
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Police call handling shake-up could cut demand on officers (29 comments)
- Cumbrian council set to axe chief executive job (14 comments)
- Former Carlisle hotel one of England's most at risk buildings (22 comments)
- Thirty new Cumbrian entries in Camra's latest 'beer bible' (5 comments)
- Parents furious as children kept out of lessons for flouting uniform rules (85 comments)
- 'Rude' Cumbrian town name banned at national WI fair (44 comments)
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (40 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (139 comments)
Court & crime
- Carlisle man who had nearly two million child porn images on computer jailed
- Driver lost control and crashed through Carlisle charity shop window
- Carlisle man jailed for lying for cocaine trafficker dad
- Cumbrian man convicted of raid on Dartmouth gift shop
- Men who turned Cumbrian mansion into cannabis farm jailed for total of almost 40 years