Police probe spate of burglaries at Carlisle city centre businesses
Last updated at 12:18, Tuesday, 05 February 2013
Police are investigating if a spate of raids at businesses in Carlisle are linked.
Crooks have struck at a number of firms, mainly in the city centre, in recent days, making off with hauls including cash and property.
Most of the burglaries happened in Carlyle Court, off Fisher Street, with the recently opened Shabby Scholar bar the latest victim.
Detectives are appealing for information about all the raids and investigations are underway.
Thieves broke into the Shabby Scholar during the early hours of Sunday, stealing a safe and cash from the till.
Joint owner Sam Norman told the News & Star: “Me and a couple of other members of staff left the premises at about 12.30am.
“We arrived back on site at 9.45am and saw stuff all over the floor, The kitchen door had been opened and the till had been broken into.
“We’d taken the takings away but they got the float in the till and the float in the safe as well.
“I can’t believe that people would pick on a small independent business. We are just trying to work hard and give the city something new and fresh.”
Mr Norman said he hoped there might be witnesses.
He added: “There was an event on at the Brickyard [on Fisher Street] and some people will have been kicking around the area at the time. Hopefully, somebody might have seen or heard something.”
A number of offices were also targeted at Carlyle Court overnight on Thursday. A Sony laptop computer was stolen from one.
Officers are investigating links between the Carlyle Court raids and a break-in at Lord’s Larder on Lord Street, near St Nicholas Street.
Money was stolen from the till at the weekend.
A police spokesman said: “We would urge anyone with information to contact officers on 101.”
First published at 12:17, Tuesday, 05 February 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Dozens of operations cancelled at Carlisle hospital (14 comments)
- Huge potholes making Cumbrian residents' lives a misery (4 comments)
- Cumbria police must have redesign to survive (2 comments)
- Carlisle shop for sale with warning not to tell staff (18 comments)
- Wealthy peer funds Labour to help unseat Tories in Carlisle (36 comments)
- Cumbrian postcode with fewest burglaries revealed (4 comments)
- Dog suffers horrific injuries in attack on Carlisle street (14 comments)
- Cumbria crime panel backs council tax increase plan (9 comments)
- Double blow as historic Carlisle pub and club close (14 comments)
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Tesco to turn Mills into a One Stop shop
- Mickley: Homes scheme unveiled
- Time to take a hard-line stance
- Ovingham Bridge programme seven weeks behind schedule
- 400 homes mapped out for Prudhoe hospital grounds
- Prudhoe mum and daughter die in road crash
- Festive safety tips
- LOOKING BACK PICTURES
- Prudhoe’s £26m centre helps youngsters from far and wide
- Parents warned they must get savvy about Facebook