Police oppose Cumbrian pub’s Christmas opening hours plan
Last updated at 12:46, Monday, 03 December 2012
Police are fighting a pub’s application to extend its Christmas opening hours, claiming it will lead to public disorder and crime.
Whitehaven’s Cap’n Senny’s, on Senhouse Street, wants to servealcohol until 3am on Black Eye Friday – December 21 – and the following day and again on Boxing Day.
Copeland council’s licensing sub-committee will review the application tomorrow and decide whether to give it the go-ahead.
But Sergeant Ashley Bennett, of Cumbria police, said he had “concerns” about allowing the extensions as there were still “significant issues” within the club.
“My concern is that should this extension be granted then this will only extend the issues suffered by local residents andothers around the town centre and lead to further public disorder and criminal activity within the town centre,” he said.
Environmental Health has also objected. John Cain, environmental protection team leader at Copeland council, said in a letter to the licensing committee that there would be a potential for public nuisance at the later time.
This isn’t the first time that Cap’n Senny’s has been under scrutiny by police. In April tighter controls to reduce incidents of violence and disorder in the town were placed on the popular nightspot.
The club’s bid to stay open until 3am was rejected by Copeland’s licensing panel, however members did agree for it to stay open until 2.30am on Fridays and Saturday, though the serving of alcohol stops at 2am.
The conditions put in place included using plastic classes, extra CCTV, increased door supervision and reporting of all incidents to police.
The conditions were ordered by the licensing panel following a review of the premises licence and objections from police.
Another Whitehaven pub wants to extend its opening hours over Christmas.
Roc Bar, on Tangier Street, wants to open on 11am on Friday, December 21 until 3am the following morning. It also wants to open between these hours on Christmas Eve and Boxing Day.
First published at 12:45, Monday, 03 December 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (19 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (16 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (6 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (8 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (10 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (15 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (46 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (12 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)